Wednesday, July 8, 2009

UNEQUAL risk for abuse

According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, domestic violence is best defined as a pattern of abusive and controlling behavior than one partner uses against another in an intimate relationship. It includes physical, sexual and verbal abuse, economic coercion and other intimidating behaviors. Women I've spoken with (and a few abused men, too) have confided in their experiences what begins as verbal abuse develops into a complex repetoire. Further, according to the NDVH, while people of all races, ages, ethnicities and socio-economic status are affected, research indicates young women in poverty are at the highest risk. In part, this is because calling police, obtaining protective orders, or pursuing criminal charges DO NOT address the financial realities of living with violence. Women who live in povery know leaving an abusive partner may be the tipping point into homelessness and an inability to protect their children. Two decades of working with social services has exposed me to thousands of abused women and children; my observation that women stay for financial reasons more than fear for safety or other reasons. I would like readers to comment on their experiences, or people they know who have been in abusive relationships and why they stayed or what indicators led them to get out. Visit www.NDVH.org or call 1-800-799-SAFE for information on keeping those you love safe.

1 comment:

Laurie Smith said...

Hi Pamela,

Reading through your blog has made me so happy that you are ALIVE, and that you are okay, and that you are able to speak up and speak out against DV and abuse issues, and more importantly, your own personal story! I am so extremely happy that you SURVIVED and I will pass your blog on to everyone I know. I am following your Blog and look forward to more great posts and information you have. You are a great writer and I am learning so much from your blog. I grew up in an abusive home. I have a blog which is my story called "Not so Fond Memories,Growing up in an Abusive Household" and I also have a YouTube Channel. I am so happy to stand with you to be a voice for those who cannot raise their voice and to stand up and say no to violence and abuse of any kind towards anyone,men,women, and especially children. Please read my story in my blog and let me know what you think. It is just a story right now, but after 43 years I felt it was time to let it go and even though I have forgiven my parents, it is important for us SURVIVORS to let people know what happens to people and children around the world on a daily basis! Horrific and devastating abuses happen. So, congratulations on your wonderful blog and I am so happy to have found it. All the best.
Laurie