Monday, March 29, 2010

Survivor's Journey in Defining Human Trafficking

My personal ordeal beginning as a financial con, escalating to captivity, extreme physical & sexual abuse, escaping in May 2005, I knew enough about domestic abuse to recognize my experience included the 4 types: physical, sexual, emotional & financial.

Nearly five years later, attending a play by Dr. Ana Nogales "Don't Call me Baby" on human trafficking at the CASA0101 Theatre, I was stunned to learn the defining elements of human trafficking...one or more of these three elements meets the definition: Use of Force, Use of Coersion, or Fraud as a basis of re-locating for purposes of forced labor or sexual exploitation. My own ordeal launched in fraud, followed with coersion and continued with force, extracting me from my young adult daughters, our South Bay home, a job and a life that delighted me...to the gloom and doom of Washington State, one of four states that in effect still considers domestic violence "a private matter". What this means is there are no local domestic violence ordinances, no protocols for protection. My assailant/trafficker has been sentenced on the physical violence, aggrevated by coersion, yet prosecution did not address the financial fraud. I was neither the first, nor the last "victim" of my assailant, in terms of domestic violence, or in terms of human trafficking (as I now understand it).

To share your concerns, or for more information about human trafficking, call the hotline @ 888-373-7888. Post-traumatic stress (PTSD) is common among those affected by human trafficking and/or violence. Readers are invited to visit http://www.survivoronamission.org/for additional information on trauma resolution, including a free MP3 download to sample pure awareness and begin the healing process. Please share this link and awareness with those you love. Stay blessed.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Pamela, I am so sorry for what happened to you. It saddens me so much for all you endured along with being kept from your daughter and loved ones. You are a very strong survivor. I need something to help me move on & fogive as they say will help me. I just cannot get to that point. I am honored you invited me to follow your blog & thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring. Most of my experiences are documented under my FB notes. Take care & be safe.

With much love and respect, Colleen